Over the years, music has evolved with times. From the 80s till now, these multiple changes in terms of trends and pop culture.
In celebration of this year SG 50, I had listed down the songs which the 80s – 90s generation will know.
1980s makes the emerging of pop, dance music and new wave. Music genres such as post-disco, Italo disco, Euro disco and dance-pop became more popular.
During this decade, several major electronic genres were developed, including electro, techno, house, freestyle and Eurodance.
We grew up listening to these songs.
I believe everyone have their own stories to tell for each songs that will be listed below.
1. (1973) Top of the World – Carpenters
I learnt about this song, “Top of the World” during my primary school times.
I did not even know that this song was release in 1973.
2. (1973) Yesterday Once More – Carpenters
Another of my favorite song by Carpenter.
3. (1977) How Deep Is Your Love – Bee Gees
4. (1976) Dancing Queen – Abba
5. (1977) We Will Rock You – Queen
Everyone will be super familiar with this song.
We will hear and sing this song during our Sport Day or School Camp.
“We will, We will Rock You ! ”
6. (1978) Y.M.C.A – Village People
The moment when the song hit the chorus, everyone will stretch up their hands to form Y.M.C.A and sing their hearts out. Y.M.C.A
Here we go… Y.M.C.A !!
7. (1982) Hey Mickey – Toni Basil
Hey Mickey was a very popular song for cheerleading.
The super light and cheerful song will make you want to stand up and start dancing with the song.
8. (1982) Hard to Say I’m Sorry – Chicago
9. (1982) Beat It – Micheal Jackson
Micheal Jackson had rock the whole 80s music industry with his music and dance.
10. (1983) Every Breath You Take – The Police
11. (1983) Uptown Girl – Billy Joel
We are more familiar with the song “Uptown Girl” by Westlife.
However, “Uptown Girl” is a song written and performed by American musician, Billy Joel in 1983.
12. (1984) Forever Young – Alphaville
How we wish we are Forever young. It brought back lot of memories during our younger days.
13. (1984) Take me on – a-ha
14. (1984) Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go ! – Wham!
15. (1985) We are the World – Lionel Richie, Tina Turner , Micheal Jackson
The world was a beautiful and better place in the 80s.
16. (1985 ) Call Me – Spagna
17. (1986) Stand By Me – Ben e King
“And darlin’, darlin’ stand by me ..
Oh stand by me ..
Oh stand now, stand by me, stand by me ..”
“Stand by Me” was recorded in 1961.
There are over 400 version for this song.
It gained more popularity in the 1980s after being feature in the soundtrack of an 1986 Flim.
18. (1987) Boys Boys Boys (Summertime Love) – Sabrina Salerno
19. (1987) Never Gonna Give You Up- Rick Astley
20. (1987) I Want To Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston
21. (1987) Heaven Is A Place On Earth – Belinda Caelisle
This is my first Euro-techno song. I cant help singing along while listening to this song.
22. (1988) One Moment In Time – Whitney Houston
I did not knew that this song was recorded for 1988 Summer Olympics.
It brought back memories of my school choir’s day when we sang this song.
23. (1988) I Hate Myself For Loving You – Joan Jett
24. (1989) Right Here Waiting – Richard Marx
I am sure that “Right Here Waiting” had definitely play a small part in your life.
This classic song was still popular till now.
25. (1989) Eternal Flame – The Bangles
This is one of those love songs I remember hearing when I am very young.
26. (1991) Everything I do (I do for you) – Bryan Adams
The soundtrack of Robin Hood.
27. (1991) Dangerous -Micheal Jackson
28. (1992) I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
Till tonight, this song is still very popular for wedding.
29. (1993) Hero – Mariah Carey
This is an super meaningful song for me.
It gave me the strength to pushes myself through all these years.
30. (1994) Now and Forever – Richard Marx
Another classic song by Richard Marx. I really love his song.
This is a great song for wedding proposal :
“Now and Forever, I will be your man.”
31. (1994) I Swear – All 4 One
32. (1995) Lemon Tree – Fool’s Garden
33. (1995) Macarena – Los Del Rio
Lets dance Macarena !!
34. (1996) Wannable – Spice Girl
35. (1997) Barbie Girl – Aqua
36. (1997) My Hearts Will Go On – Celine Dion
The main theme song for the movie “Titanic”. A beautiful love song that tell the whole story of Titanic.
37. (1997) Truly, Madly,Deeply – Savage Garden
38. (1997) How do I live – LeAnn Rimes
39. (1998) Baby One More Time – Britney Spear
The goddess and dream girl of every guy in the 90s.
“Baby One More Time” was a great hit in 1998.
In 1998, Dance-pop was a hit to the music industries.You can hear Dance-pop almost every where in Singapore.
40. (1998) Tarzan & Jane – Toy Box
41. (1998) Boom Boom Boom -Vengaboys
42. (1998) We Like To Party ! – Vengaboys
43. (1998) Witch Doctor – Cartoons
“Ooh eeh ooh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang !! ”
Do you know, “Witch Doctor” was written and sang by Ross Bagdasarian in 1958.
44. (1998) Calcutta (Taxi Taxi Taxi) – Dr Bombay
45. (1998) Butterfly – SMiLE.dk
46. (1998) Big Big World – Emilia
47. (1998) No Matter What – Boyzone
The first boy band which I love.
48. (1998) When You Believe – Prince of Egypt
Personally, I love the original Disney version with Hebrew lyrics.
This was also one of the song, we performed for our SYF Choir.
49. (1999) Backstreet Boys – I Want It That Way
50. (1999) Backstreet Boys – Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely
51. (1999) Blue (Da Ba Dee) – Eiffel 65
52. (1999) Bring It All Back – S Club 7
53. (1999) Livin’ La Vida -Ricky Martin
54. (1999) When You Say Nothing At All – Ronan Keating
55. (2000) It’s My Life – Bon Jovi
56. (2000) Shala lala – Vengaboys
57. (2000) Bye Bye Bye – N’Sync
58. (2000) My Love – Westlife
59. (2000) Only Love -Trademark
“Only Love” have all my secondary school’s memories.
This was one of the favorite school song as our DM will sing during school’s celebration.
60. (2000) Graduation (Friend Forever) – Vitamin C
This songs brought back alot of memories of school days.
Especially the memories of your group of best friends, the times when we play, cry and study together.
“As we go on, We remember
All the times we, Had together
And as our lives change, Come whatever
We will still be, Friends Forever”