I was first introduced to this dish, 麻辣香锅 last year by my boyfriend. I simply fell in love with this dish after I tried it at Chinatown People Park Hawker Center.
Ma La Xiang Guo 麻辣香锅 is like the fried version of Yong Tou Fu.
You can choose your desire ingredients like seafoods , meats or vegetables. After that, they will fried the ingredients with the spices.
You can also choose the level of spiciness : “Small , Medium and Super Spicy”
I chanced upon a sharing on the Ma La Xiang Guo 麻辣香锅 paste on Singapore Home Cooks 新加坡家庭美食分享 group on Facebook.
We decided to create our own version of Ma La Xiang Guo 麻辣香锅.
Ma La Xiang Guo 麻辣香锅
2 110g Ma La Xiang Guo Sauce Pack
2 clove of garlic,chopped
2 tbs of minced garlic
1/4 Cup of Dried Chili (Optional)
1 1/2 cup of Broccoli
1 cup of Shiitake Mushroom
1 cup of Enoki Mushroom
1 cup of Bai Ye Toufu
1 cup of Toufu Puff
1 packet of Crab Sticks
1 packet of Pork Meat Ball
1 packet of Sausage
1 can of Luncheon Meat
2 cup of Cocktail Hotdog
2 cup of Sliced Chicken Thigh
*Feel free to use any ingredients and quantity depending on your preference.
This is the Ma La Xiang Guo 麻辣香锅 Sauce pack which I used in this recipe. You can get it from Giant Supermarket at $5.60.
1) In a wok or frying pan, add sesame oil and saute the minced garlic until fragrant.
2) Add in the meat ball,sausage, cocktail hotdog, luncheon meat and crab sticks to fry. Once done, set aside.
3) In a separate pot, boil the broccoli, shiitake mushroom and enoki mushroom and set aside.
4) In a wok under small heat, add in sesame oil and saute the chopped garlic and dried chili until fragrant.
5) Add in the Ma La Xiang Guo sauce pack and saute until fragrant.
6) Add in the sliced chicken thigh and fry for 5 minutes.
7) Add in the Toufu puff and Bai Ye Toufu Strips and continue frying.
8) Add in the cooked meat ball,sausage, cocktail hotdog, luncheon meat and crab sticks and continue frying for 3 minutes.
9) Add in the vegetables and continue frying for 3 minutes.
10) Add in a bit of water and let bring it to a simmer.
11) After the sauce and reduce, off the heat.
12) Sprinkle some sesame seeds and served.